2010 Moreton Bay Classic

AFO

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AZZA wrote:

All signed up and payed may have a deckie spot or two on my boat up for grabs

Good on you AZZA.

Anyone looking to get involved in AFO events and enjoy and great comp should really read back through this as i think there are numerous deckie spots out there!

Angus

• 3 weeks later...

wesfish wrote:

look forward to this one!!! i like the one entry per species! good comp with very great chance of taking a place for a species!! i will be giving the snapper, tailor and mackeral most of my attention :)

Questions were raised regarding the species choice Wes so its good to see you are chasing two species critisised by some.

At teh end of the day in a bay full of fish and 100's of species, its pretty hard to choose 5 (or 10 for that matter!!!) that suit everyone.

We ended up chossing species to appeal to:

a: as many anglers as possibe.

b: as many locations as possible.

c: as many required techniques as possible.

These 3 points give a well rounded event as opposed to say choosing 5 bottom basing or 5 trolling orientated species.

Angus

tomca wrote:

Might be in with a good chance Wes, as a lot of the competitors will be targeting the alcohol :laugh: I am planning to target some of the unstoppables around Dunwich
:laugh: lol done a bit of scouting yesterday,i just hope they stay in the similar areas ;) all though its over a month away.

Angus wrote:

wesfish wrote:
look forward to this one!!! i like the one entry per species! good comp with very great chance of taking a place for a species!! i will be giving the snapper, tailor and mackeral most of my attention :)

Questions were raised regarding the species choice Wes so its good to see you are chasing two species critisised by some.

At teh end of the day in a bay full of fish and 100's of species, its pretty hard to choose 5 (or 10 for that matter!!!) that suit everyone.

We ended up chossing species to appeal to:

a: as many anglers as possibe.

b: as many locations as possible.

c: as many required techniques as possible.

These 3 points give a well rounded event as opposed to say choosing 5 bottom basing or 5 trolling orientated species.

Angus

mackerals a fun chice as schoolies are the main one all year round, but the chance of a big spotty or spaniard are still there. it makes it more fun and interestig having to work hard to locate then connect to mackeral for the event.

tailor are allways in the bay and will take a variety of bait sp's slugs hb's. so any one is in with a good chance of getting one. land based , kayak or boat are in with a good chance.

some deckies here have that experience if you want to take your own boat or tag along with another boat heading out, as we all got to go manly harbour for sign on before you can start fishing. i'll be there for the early sign in then i'm heading over to peel island to fish and there is always some where there to get out of any wind and stick it to some fish

mark

I've penciled in the dates but my boating experience isnt enough for this event. I would appreciate a deckie spot from one of the more experienced members, I have all my own tackle and will gladly pay my way,

tugger wrote:

some deckies here have that experience if you want to take your own boat or tag along with another boat heading out, as we all got to go manly harbour for sign on before you can start fishing. i'll be there for the early sign in then i'm heading over to peel island to fish and there is always some where there to get out of any wind and stick it to some fish

mark

I've penciled in the dates but my boating experience isnt enough for this event. I would appreciate a deckie spot from one of the more experienced members, I have all my own tackle and will gladly pay my way,

totally agree with what mark said davey .grab a good deckie

some one who is experienced with the bay and its changable moods

and take your own boat, taggalong style

great way to get some experience out there in your own boat

jeff f wrote:

tugger wrote:

mark

totally agree with what mark said davey .grab a good deckie

some one who is experienced with the bay and its changable moods

and take your own boat, taggalong style

great way to get some experience out there in your own boat

Yeap great way to meet more AFOers as well. And its win win for you and deckie.

Angus

agree with the guys .

best would be to get a deckie .

either one that boats out of action or has a small boat and want to go out in a bigger boat . or has experience in the bay ,there would be deckie's about that don't have a boat but have been out in the bay many times with mates /other afo's etc

Okay guys, looking for a couple of deckies for the contest that have boating experience in the Bay. I have a 4.85 Stessco its got all the main gear if anyone wants any other info send me a message and we can talk, here is a photo of the boat, the wife wont be there! :laugh:

Daveylad P1040644.JPG

daveylad wrote:

Okay guys, looking for a couple of deckies for the contest that have boating experience in the Bay. I have a 4.85 Stessco its got all the main gear if anyone wants any other info send me a message and we can talk, here is a photo of the boat, the wife wont be there! :laugh:

Daveylad P1040644.JPG

Nice looking rig mate. Be surprised if no one puts there hand up!

In saying that, some people dont keep re reading threads...

Could I also maybe make a suggestion to create a new thread in the "Moreton Bay Classic" section offering up the deckie spots. It will just be more obvious to people.

This is good advice for anyone looking for a deckie spot or giving one away for the Classic.

Cheers.

Angus

• 2 weeks later...

The Brisbane River boundary is the end (further most upstream point) of the rock wall bordering the reclamined land.

Untitled-20100415-2.jpg

maybe a landmark to help .

i always taught the whole of fisherman islands is reclaimed land.

so is it the boat passage side of fisherman islands .

or

the end of the wharves/terminals .

or

after bishop drive where the new wall and land fill is .

mate your welcome to follow us around if you want, buy the end you will have all the experience neeeded in the bay, we will be out there for the duration of the comp. i straddie brad and travis will be on my rig, but if you get really stuck, you can jump on, just be a lil crowded, but all won't be fishin all the time. brad and trav will need their sleep, hahahaha

rob.

I planed on anchoring on these couple of spots in the bay weather permitting for the night, Then I remembered that I lent the hand held GPS that the marks are in to my boss for his trip to the Kimberlies :( will try to get hold of him as he is not due back until November

i'm keen for this. been trying to get out of a prior appointment.

if anyone has a deckie spot available, i'll be keen. upfront and honest, i've never had the opportunity to be out on the water in a boat here before, always land based.

if anyone has a spot, i'll sign up now.. i know i've missed the early bird rego.

thanks

merv

novrain wrote:

i'm keen for this. been trying to get out of a prior appointment.

if anyone has a deckie spot available, i'll be keen. upfront and honest, i've never had the opportunity to be out on the water in a boat here before, always land based.

if anyone has a spot, i'll sign up now.. i know i've missed the early bird rego.

thanks

merv

Merv what are the chances of pulling together another 3 people and booking the BBT charter for the day ($126 per person).

I know it makes things more expensive but at the same time you would have gear provided and expert knowledge as to "where the snapper are" :)

Angus

P.S: Is this idea fails, have a look through the thread as I am 100% sure I saw a few deckie spots on offer.

Angus

i don't know if it's really that much more $.

if u going out on a decent size boat and take in to account the fuel for the car to tow it to the ramp and a day or running around in a boat .

say your average 4x4 or family 6 cyc car to tow the boat .

say form home to ramp and back home 100 to 150 km. 20 to 30 $ there.

boat say 17 to 19 foot 100 to 150 hp,u go and fish 3 different spots on the bay .

3 to 5 hrs running time ,i reckon 50 to 100 $ in fuel and oil .

i sort of guessing on the boat part as i don't have a big boat .

add in bait etc u got to be spending 50 to 100 $ for a day out .

correct me if i'm way out on the boat figures guys ,there be guys on here with bigger boats would know the average costs better .

so i'm going out in my little tinny ,very limited to where i can travel .

still looking as spent a few bucks over the weekend .

bait:20 $ .

fuel for the cruiser,a trip each day from home to manly and back home.100 km a day :26 $

fuel an oil for the 12 foot tinny with 3.5 hp .10 liters of fuel:15 $.250 ml of oil:5 $

worked out fuel price $ 1.30 a litre ,5 km a liter in the 4x4.

so about 92 $ for the 2 days .

ok so most of my cost is the big old 4x4 and its bugger all to run around in a little tinny.

u add a bigger boat on that it's got to add 50 to 100 $ on.

kewl

i was guessed bigger boats use 10 to 20 liters a hr ,depending on boat and motor size and how hard it worked .

in general conversation mates ,afo peeps ,my dad, etc have told me what the boat use a hr in fuel.

but i just can't remember the exact figures ,unless u are running a bigger boat too u forget these things as they are not relevant to your boat.

what i do know it 3.5 hp is bloody slow but on 1 liter of fuel ,i can run around on a dam for 5 hrs or river for 3 hrs to 5 hrs depending on current, tide,wind , etc.

• 2 weeks later...

novrain wrote:

good idea re BBT but you're right, it does make it much pricier.

i've been trawling through the thread this morning. think most spots have been snapped up though. i'm too late.

that being said, if anyone has a spot, i'm keen

trav has pulled the pin so will have a chat to brad but sure he wouldn't mind another person on the boat, i'll keep in touch. boat is in the shop on the 12/5 too electrical gremlins, just hope it's a stator, or coil pack, need a load wheel, as it only plays up under load now, dammit. but i'm there, got a boat i can borrow if need be.

rob

• 2 weeks later...

daveylad wrote:

Malcolm wrote:
folks who are thinking to camp on peel let me know and i can adjust my booking untill Friday morning it's only $5

Probably looking at saturday night anchoring in the area :ta:

Are you going to be anchoring around Peel on saturday night Azza?

Archived