2010 Moreton Bay Classic

AFO

** This thread discusses the content article: 2010 Moreton Bay Classic **

logo_moreton_bay_classic_2010.gif

The annual Moreton Bay Classic fishing competition run by Brisbane Fishing Online is taking place on Saturday 15th May - Sunday 16th May 2010.

TIME AND VENUE:

Event Headquarters (HQ) for the AFO Moreton Bay Classic will be at Manly, near the Manly Boat Ramp. The Event Headquarters is where you need to report for your pre-fishing briefing and also for weighing-in (submitting photo entries) and prize presentation.The 2010 Moreton Bay Classic fishing competition will commence at 04:00am Saturday 15th of May 2010 and conclude at 12:00pm on the 16th of May. The prize presentation will commence at 12:15pm on the 16th of May.

ENTRY FEE AND REGISTRATION:

If you register early for this event you can save with Early Bird rates. If entry fees are paid before 15th March 2010 the fee is $30 per competitor. Entries made after this date but before the 15th April 2010 are $40 per competitor. Entries after this date but before the 15th May are $50 You can register on the day, however this can only be done at the Event HQ and only cash payments will be accepted. The fee for registering on the day at the event is $60 per competitor and the entry fee must be paid and report for briefing done before you commence fishing to be eligible to weigh-in. Entry forms not correctly filled out will render the entrants ineligible for the prize and trophy draw. All entrants must report to the Event HQ before commencing fishing in the competition to receive the event briefing and sign Competitor Participation form. The Event HQ will be open from 4am - 12pm each day to report for briefing and submit entries of fish. Upon successfully reporting to the Event HQ each angler will receive a unique competitor's number which will be used to identify them throughout the competition. Ensure you keep this number and return it to organisers at the prize presentation for inclusion in a possible lucky door prize. No number means no chance for lucky door prize.

BOUNDARIES:

The fishing competition will take place in Moreton Bay, Queensland. The boundaries for the competition are: northern most limit of the competition will be 27 Degrees 0’S, and the southern most limit will be 27 Degrees 50’S. The eastern most boundary will be the Bar between Moreton Island and North Stradbroke Island. The Western boundaries will be 50m up the mouth of any river or creek flowing into Moreton Bay except the Brisbane River. The Brisbane River boundary is the end (further most upstream point) of the rock wall bordering the reclamined land. Bait can be collected before the time of the event, and outside these boundaries. Please note that all restrictions and fishing practices set by the DPI are to be adhered to, although as this is a catch, photo and release event oversized and undersized fish can be submitted.. Entrants may fish anywhere in between these limits. Entrants are advised to seek authority from private owners if intending to fish from the bank of privately owned land.

PRIZES:

First Place Prize for each category will be $200 Cash presented with oversized novelty cheque which is great for the pool room! There will be alot of prizes on offer (including the cash prizes) for all categories as well as some fantastic fishing gear, tackle and accessories. At this stage we are still finalising the fishing gear prizes which we hope to have finalised in the next two weeks

1st Prize in each Category: $200 Cash

2nd Prize in each Category: Fishing Gear

3rd Prize in each Category: Lure Pack

PRIZE CATEGORIES:

1)LONGEST BREAM

This category will consist of any Pikey or Yellowfin Bream. The prize for this category will be presented to the angler who submits the longest Bream over the course of the competition. One Bream per angler per competition able to be submitted.

2)LONGEST FLATHEAD

This category will consist of any Flathead species in Queensland. The prize for this category will be presented to the angler who submits the longest Flathead over the course of the competition. One Flathead photo per angler per competition able to be submitted. (Photo entry allowed for oversized fish as per the AFO Standard Event Terms and Conditions)

3)LONGEST TAILOR

This category will consist of any Tailor. The prize for this category will be presented to the angler who submits the longest Tailor over the course of the competition. One Tailor per angler per competition able to be submitted.

4)LONGEST SNAPPER

This category will consist of any Snapper. The prize for this category will be presented to the angler who submits the longest Snapper over the course of the competition. One Snapper per angler per competition able to be submitted.

5)LONGEST MACKEREL

This category will consist of any Mackerel. The prize for this category will be presented to the angler who submits the longest Mackerel over the course of the competition. One Mackerel per angler per competition able to be submitted.

LUCKY DOOR PRIZES:

There will be a lucky door prize at this event. At the prize presentation, we will put all Competitor Numbers into a hat and draw it randomly. Good luck!

STANDARD EVENT TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

By agreeing to compete in the 2010 Moreton Bay Classic fishing competition you also agree to our Standard Event Terms and Conditions which can be found Here

EVENT REGISTRATION:

Registration is done by going to www.australianfishing.com.au and click on Competitions > Event Registration from the main menu or simply following this link here. Now simply follow the easy process and pay online

If paying direct deposit our bank details are:- Bank Name: Bank of Qld, Account Name: Brisbane Fishing Online, BSB: 124 001, Account Number: 20881585 and you MUST put your Name and Event Name in the transaction description/ reference.

Please make all cheques/money orders payable to ‘Brisbane Fishing Online’ and note that your registration will only occur after money has cleared into our account.

Registration fee payments can be done by Paypal, Direct Deposit, Cheque and Money Order (cash only if paying and registering at the event)

Please make sure you read and understand the information and rules above as well as our Standard Event Terms and Conditions before registering. If you experience any problems registering please email the admin team or post in the Moreton Bay Classic forum category (you will need to be a AFO member to access the forum)

You can register online now for the 2010 Summer Classic fishing competition

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnny wrote:

To see some photos from last years Moreton Bay Classic fishing competition check out the photo album in the Community section.

A very happy winner with novelty cheque for cash prize. (We may even make the cheques bigger this year :)) index.jpg

Larger cheques! Im in :P

It will be interesting to see if more people actively chase macks this year with the event being earlier.

Angus

spotties and spanish r gone by then they r a summer species but school mackerel hang around all year in small numbers , i hope to get to this 1 should have a deckie spot to if i make it

mark

Angus wrote:

Johnny wrote:
To see some photos from last years Moreton Bay Classic fishing competition check out the photo album in the Community section.

A very happy winner with novelty cheque for cash prize. (We may even make the cheques bigger this year :)) index.jpg

Larger cheques! Im in :P

It will be interesting to see if more people actively chase macks this year with the event being earlier.

Angus

tugger wrote:

spotties and spanish r gone by then they r a summer species but school mackerel hang around all year in small numbers , i hope to get to this 1 should have a deckie spot to if i make it

mark

Not arguing with you tugger, but I got this one in July near Peel. Like I said at the time "I think he was lost" :laugh: Peel_spotty_06_2007_AFO.JPG

straddiebrad wrote:

noname wrote:
looks like we will be out there in da haines too, trav me and straddiebrad, hahahaha mo larry and curly, call sign 3 suspects in a boat! :laugh: will be a good laugh if nothing else! hehehe
how about stay at amity on the friday and drive over for the start on saturday morning.
yeah, i'm easy ay, might just need to fuel the boat up a second time.

mookystiks wrote:

I'll be in,

I might have to swim for it, but I'll give it a go

Im sure there will be plenty of deckie spots.

Failing that, there is nooooooooo reason land based anglers can put in a good effort for some species, especially bream and flatties!!!

Angus

Hey guys, Very keen for this one but my tinny is pretty small with shallow sides.

I got blown around a bit at the summer classic and if the MBC blows out I'm not real sure how I will go out there so my questions are.

Are there many sheltered places out there?

Is it resonably calm around Green and st helena or even peel?( I'm aware of green zones ) ;)

Is it safe in a 12ft tinny getting from the main land to these islands in 10 and under kts?

Thanks in advance :)

Cam

whiskers brings up a valid point here, what happens if the bay gets blown out, say 20-25 kts, will it be postoned? as it's not worth putting some1's life at risk, and yes it is solely their decision to go out if they do so choose. but if it does blow, less competitors will be on the water.and besides 20-25 in the bay is no place for any 1 really, in the wrong conditions, or on the foreshore either for that matter.

your thoughts! any 1 ???

kriso wrote:

hell yes! cant wait just gota hope flexo is keen so i can go out in his boat again, he should let me, i made him look pretty good by not actually cathcing anything lol!

I spose I should let you redeam your self. still think you couldnt catch a cold. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

noname wrote:

whiskers brings up a valid point here, what happens if the bay gets blown out, say 20-25 kts, will it be postoned? as it's not worth putting some1's life at risk, and yes it is solely their decision to go out if they do so choose. but if it does blow, less competitors will be on the water.and besides 20-25 in the bay is no place for any 1 really, in the wrong conditions, or on the foreshore either for that matter.

your thoughts! any 1 ???

While its always possible, I think June is one of the best months for weather in the bay isn't it?

Otherwise you can always fish the Marina or sneak in to Tinnie creek!

Those with boats can always find some shelter somewhere in the southern bay.

Malcolm wrote:

There is a lot of comps held in much more open water and you have to deal with the conditions. The bay has heaps of options if you have to drive a car for a bit and launch somewhere that's going to offer shelter and better fishing then that's what a weekend comp is all about.

I appreciate the feedback but I gotta say I'm not ignorant to these facts I'm not sure how this answers my question?

Please forgive me if I have misinterpreted what you have said?

Cheers

Cam

Whiskers wrote:

Malcolm wrote:
There is a lot of comps held in much more open water and you have to deal with the conditions. The bay has heaps of options if you have to drive a car for a bit and launch somewhere that's going to offer shelter and better fishing then that's what a weekend comp is all about.

I appreciate the feedback but I gotta say I'm not ignorant to these facts I'm not sure how that little rant answers my question?

Cheers

Cam

I think there was a slight misinterpretation, you can trust me when I say Mal only ever offers advice when he thinking it helpful and bites his tounge otherwise. I think Mal just meant in honesty that dont worry to much there will be somewhere you take the boat alwmost regardless of weather.

Mate id consider Wello Point. Most target species on offer and hihgly suitable for your boat. I dont know the rest of the southern bay very well as I have yet to explore it.

Whiskers wrote:

ellicat wrote:
Southern bay - Coochie, McLeay, Snipe etc are all fairly sheltered if the wind is a spoiler.

In your opinion what would be the best place to launch from to access these islands?

Cheers

Cam :)

Victoria Pt. There are two separate ramps there. One is a duel lane and pontoon in the middle setup. The other is just a straight ramp. I prefer the straight ramp, but the pontoon one will give you the best protection and the most sheltered route to fish around Coochie. Have a look on Google maps and you will see that coochie is only a stone's throw from the mainland. Depending which direction the wind is from (if it's blowing) will determine which side you fish.

Cheers

ellicat wrote:

Whiskers wrote:
ellicat wrote:
Southern bay - Coochie, McLeay, Snipe etc are all fairly sheltered if the wind is a spoiler.

In your opinion what would be the best place to launch from to access these islands?

Cheers

Cam :)

Victoria Pt. There are two separate ramps there. One is a duael lane and pontoon in the middle setup. The other is just a straight ramp. I prefer the straight ramp, but the pontoon one will give you the best protection and the most sheltered root to fish around Coochie. Have a look on Google maps and you will see that coochie is only a stone's throw from the mainland. Depending which direction the wind is from (if it's blowing) will determine which side you fish.

Cheers

Thank you mate thats the info I'm after B)

Cheers Cam

wellington point is very exposed in strong winds i would suggest redland bay ramp or jacobs well ramp the later is ideal in very strong winds for small boats but manly ramp is better for green island if the weather is alright victoria point ramp gets u close to coochiemudlo island which holds reefies and would be the closest island to the mainland in the northern part of the bay

mark

Whiskers wrote:

Malcolm wrote:

I appreciate the feedback but I gotta say I'm not ignorant to these facts I'm not sure how this answers my question?

Cheers

Cam

Hey Whiskers it wasn't just your post I was replying to it was just an opinion about the comp in general.Sorry if you took it the wrong way but people are asking what if this and that and I just gave an answer.

Mal

Malcolm wrote:

Whiskers wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Cheers

Cam

Hey Whiskers it wasn't just your post I was replying to it was just an opinion about the comp in general.Sorry if you took it the wrong way but people are asking what if this and that and I just gave an answer.

Mal

Sweet mate :)

Cheers to everyone for the advice :ta:

Cam

i will be probability in this and only a 12 foot tinny too .

The Western boundaries will be 50m up the mouth of any river or creek flowing into Moreton Bay except the Brisbane River.

that still gives u a few river/creek mouths to hide in if it blows up .

the red dot is about home base area .

shelter1.jpg

lots of areas to hide ,depending which the wind is blowing .

also not on the map is green island ,down from st helena .

shelter2.jpg

i think i haven't marked any green zones .

not sure if any are good fishing ,was just lookin at the map seeing what looks like it could be shelter if its a blowy day .

a few spots to hide from bad weather i reckon ,depending on what direction its coming from .

Archived