Queen Fish, Trev's, Flatties & Salmon??

Manni79

Had an opportunity to head back to the Broad Water with Jeremy (Sehrguht) for an afternoon’s fishing chasing Salmon !!

We drop the boat in at the “Grand Boat Harbour†at lunchtime thinking the Salmon are not too far away from making there presence known, so we cruise for a little while close buy and Jeremy starts the day with this fella.

post-8859-144598652818_thumb.jpg

Not long after we decided to head back to the ramp, after all of about 24 hours experience with Salmon I predicted they would turn up around 12:45pm, well not far from that at 12:52 the Salmon turned up, problem was only 1 or 2 of them and a few dashes at the bait fish and they were gooooone !!

A call was made that we cruise the area and see if we can find where they are holding up, so we start cruising and about ten minutes later both Jeremy and I spot 2 separate little boil ups so we investigate, as we draw closer we start to see little bust ups every where and within a few casts we are on !!!!

We found ourselves in the middle of a mixed bag of fish smashing the bait fish !! Jeremy was quickly on to a Queen fish, 1 of at least 10 he landed this going around 45cm

post-8859-144598652826_thumb.jpg

In a short space of time we are following the fish around and start to hook up to a number of Queenies, most smaller than 45cm’s so they quickly get thrown back hoping we can upgrade.... Fish are being caught every few casts and there we even a couple double hooks ups, this one a Queen Fish & Tailor !!

post-8859-14459865283_thumb.jpg

During the commotion I had hooked up to a fish only to lose it after fighting for a minute and then as i retrieve my lure... BANG !! I’m back on but this time a stronger fighting fish, I thought this was a Salmon but it seems at though i could be wrong..... (Fish ID Please? as Angus said, looks like a Big Eye Trevally got busy with a Tuna lol) either way this fish had some power !!

post-8859-144598652835_thumb.jpg

Jeremy also hooked up to one which gave him a run for his money but he wasn’t able to land the fish... after this a lot of boats motored through the channel and the fun was over.

So we head to the seaway, motor around for an hour or so and Jeremy came up trumps with this Trev on a vibe !! (I think was a Damiki Vibe?)

post-8859-14459865284_thumb.jpg

With the sun slowly disappearing we decide to go back to where all the fun was had to see if the fish were still playing, luckily for us the Queen Fish were still there and we were able to bag a few more, including a new PB for me at 46cm

post-8859-144598652844_thumb.jpg

We also saw a Dolphin chasing the fish however had a big cut on his side and dorsal fin he was swimming fine but something had a massive crack at it, or was hit by a boat at some stage !

Total tally, 1 Flatty, 1 Tailor, 1 So called Salmon and at least 20 Queen Fish, we kinda lost count !!

Thanks for great day out Jeremy, looking forward to another session like that in the future !!

Thanks for reading !

I think your unknown fish may be a horse mackeral scad otherwise its some type of scad i think.

There is a dozen or more scad varients along the Eastern Seaboard and right out to Lord Howe Island.

Awesome baits for anything but in particular the very large offshore Mangrove Jacks we caught were all on horse scads.

10kg plus Jacks cannot swim past a large scad.

Pretty sure the mystery fish is a Finny Scad. I caught one in the Seaway about a month ago and needed someone to help me out with the id. The one I caught even grunted like a Trevally.

Some good fish there and conditions look a lot better than they predicted.

Marty

Pretty sure the mystery fish is a Finny Scad. I caught one in the Seaway about a month ago and needed someone to help me out with the id. The one I caught even grunted like a Trevally.

Some good fish there and conditions look a lot better than they predicted.

Marty

Thanks Marty, just Googled "Finny Scad" and that's exactly it !!

Was a solid good day out especially once the wind dropped right off, now to upgrade queenfish pbs!

Mildly dissapointing the salmon weren't around but i think we made up for it in bulk pelagics.

Cheers for coming Manni i look forward to the next session.

Congrats guys. I went to the sand pumping jetty and they were pumping salmon. I however had no luck, it seemed the ones who were catching the salmon kept on going while the others that had no luck to begin with, had the same fate for the rest of the day.

Kurt: the swell is still up we only went about half way up before it would get quite messy and we didn't fish it long as all the fish were holding up inside. Did you drop the boat in? We saw you at the boat ramp parking the car/boat yesterday arvo?

Angus: that's 2 species of queen fish now :P lol

Kurt: the swell is still up we only went about half way up before it would get quite messy and we didn't fish it long as all the fish were holding up inside. Did you drop the boat in? We saw you at the boat ramp parking the car/boat yesterday arvo?

yeh mate i took the boat down for a run as my wife and her friend went parasailing and i hit the water to take photos..... a very very small quick flick and didnt have a chance to go anywhere but to follow the baot and then meet back up with them.

you should have yelled out

yeh mate i took the boat down for a run as my wife and her friend went parasailing and i hit the water to take photos..... a very very small quick flick and didnt have a chance to go anywhere but to follow the baot and then meet back up with them.

you should have yelled out

Yeah we were just off the bank and saw the boat with "Mad Mullet" on the side, when i saw you walk off i thought you may have just pulled the boat out from the water and we just cruised off after that

Looks like you guys had a great session. I reckon that mongrel breed big eye trev might have some sort of mackeral in it.

LOL supposedly a "Finny Scad" I reckon it's a bastard child from a freaky fish swingers party... A little Big Eye Trev in the head, Queen Fish Tail and Mackeral/Tuna body hahaha :whistle: :whistle:

Archived