Salmon(Threadfin)under the Indooroopilly Bridge!

kiara_poltegerist

went to spot X at 430am with Viper for a castnet session. managed to get 1kg of assorted size live prawns, 1 30+cm mullet and some assorted small fish. at sunrise, we rigged up with live prawns and casted out. viper had a huge run on his huge rod that managed to bust off on a snag 4metres from the bank -_-. dang... after that, the run-in was too fast, so we went to recce some new spots. ended up at Indoooro, so we decided to look around for some fishy looking spots and try to debunk the myth of \"The Indooroopilly Cobia\"! wahaha:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:. didnt stay too long as he got little sleep the night before, and i didnt sleep at all. got a cattie, a nice bonus, got busted off on more snags by some reasonably big fish that were swimming quite fast against the current, but yea, good day!

here goes! [img size=485]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/salmon2-302d4a0328bc2ea3d434ef5e8e4b1747.JPG

post-1023-144598419144_thumb.jpg

Mack_attack wrote:

how heavy is the line on your sol. did he put up a great fight.

That's a Daiwa Liberto Pixy, not the Sol. haha, yea i know you're not supposed to use it in saltwater, but i wash it down after every trip and strip it every 3 or 4 trips to make sure no salt's inside. I only load 6lb fireline on it, plus the rod is only a ultralight 2-6lb rod, so yea, i pick up more fish, but i get busted off alot. fair enough i guess.

the fight was good, >5mins. we didnt note the start time properly. everytime i short-stroked him near he'd power off again. very good fun! we had a bet on what it was, because we'd been conned by a coupla huge catties before that took 10-15mins to land, so yea, didnt expect salmon! :D. hehe. but hey, who's complaining??

Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/06/27 18:20

Do$tylz wrote:

dude thats sweet as. Too bad bout not getting the fish you were after, were you using live mullet? :)

Thats an awesome size threadie.

Ho ho Do$. how's it going man? hehe,how's ya trip coming along this weekend? haha, we had to make do without live mullet, had some dead ones, but we figured that since we had live prawns, we might as well use them while they were still alive. caught more gangsta prawns today(15cm+), and i guess the bigger salmons like their candy bars bigger eh? :D. wahaha.

get some live mullet man, then we'll go bashing at the bridge when i'm back from skiing k.

morty wrote:

kiara_poltegerist

gday mate, just wanted to know what rig setup you run for these fish, and where is the best spot for your bait for the threadies? do u get them on the bottom? cheers mate. nice fish. morty

hey mate. er, basically a running sinker rig, depending on the tide and how snaggy the place is. my trace is normally minimum 3feet long tho.

bait? er, i'm not sure where you're fishing on the river mate, normally there's bait most places. just get a castnet, suss out some clean spots and you wont go wrong!

I'm going good. I've been fairly busy preparing for a ski trip to New Zealand next week so i haven't done much fishing lately. I'm planning to head out this week if i have enough time. I'll be doing heaps of fishing when i get back from skiing if i haven't had an accident :P

When are you going back home?

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

Gordo wrote:
Wow nice one Kiara. Thats a great sized Threadie

hehe, thx Gordo. how's it going for you man? done any fishing lately? it'd be great to wet a line with you before i go. all my crabs are barely legal -_-. cant find any good ones. winter maybe?

Post edited by: Gordo, at: 2007/06/28 10:42

Gordo wrote:

I'm going good. I've been fairly busy preparing for a ski trip to New Zealand next week so i haven't done much fishing lately. I'm planning to head out this week if i have enough time. I'll be doing heaps of fishing when i get back from skiing if i haven't had an accident :P

When are you going back home?

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

Gordo wrote:
Wow nice one Kiara. Thats a great sized Threadie

hehe, thx Gordo. how's it going for you man? done any fishing lately? it'd be great to wet a line with you before i go. all my crabs are barely legal -_-. cant find any good ones. winter maybe?

<br><br>Post edited by: Gordo, at: 2007/06/28 10:42

haha. icic. NZ eh. is there better skiing there? I'm heading up to Hotham and Mt.Buller next week for a week or so, so i guess after next week. new to this snow stuff, but damn it looks good :D . hehe. cant wait to try snowboarding! :D hehehe

i think i'll have to leave by the end of july now tho, coz i've got to get back to represent my company in a saltwater tourney in september. gotta head up to recce the estuary and map it out. no worries tho, i guess we'll work sth out before i leave.

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

morty wrote:
kiara_poltegerist

gday mate, just wanted to know what rig setup you run for these fish, and where is the best spot for your bait for the threadies? do u get them on the bottom? cheers mate. nice fish. morty

hey mate. er, basically a running sinker rig, depending on the tide and how snaggy the place is. my trace is normally minimum 3feet long tho.

bait? er, i'm not sure where you're fishing on the river mate, normally there's bait most places. just get a castnet, suss out some clean spots and you wont go wrong!

yeh mate i know how to catch livies, i was asking where your bait on your HOOK is positioned... whcih area of the water colum do u get most hits?...is it sitting on the bottom or just above? cheers mate

morty wrote:

kiara_poltegerist wrote:
morty wrote:
kiara_poltegerist

yeh mate i know how to catch livies, i was asking where your bait on your HOOK is positioned... whcih area of the water colum do u get most hits?...is it sitting on the bottom or just above? cheers mate

I thought you were asking about the above highlighted item. I thought with all running sinker rigs the hooks are at the bottom of the rig? anyway, yea, no worries, i'll clarify for you. an easy rig mate - running bullet sinker or a star sinker on your mainline stopped by a snap, and then your trace to the hook. bait is on the bottom most of the time i guess. depends on where i'm fishing. for snaggier places i use less lead so that the rig gets pushed around abit instead of sitting on the bottom.

jimmybob wrote:

a ripper of a fish mate:woohoo: ...congrats!....and good stuff to the photographer too!....a bloody nice fish.....

Yeap all credit to me the photographer thanks!! Haha, kidding! No skills needed at all, Adrian's very photogenic *chuckles*, and his camera was an excellent \"catalyst\" for the end-product! So yeah, combine a great model (I meant the fish), a great fisherman (that's u now Adrian), and a great camera, voila, u've got yourself a nice photo!

Awesomo catch man, it was the most beautiful fish I've seen from the brisbane river!

Archived