Brisbane Fishing Online's 6th birthday and changes moving forward

AFO

Happy Birthday AFO - Suggestions

1. possible Memebership fee

2. Pay to sell - % of sale to site (only fair and common on all sites)

3. ??

Sorry for a short response. I actually had something substantially longer typed out, but then before I hit the reply button I foolishly hit "back" to look at something, then hit the wrong "x" button to stop it going back - and instead closed the tab. :silly:

Personally, I don't think it is realistic for AFO to rely on a member-pays model as I think it would essentially kill the website as we would lose a significant number of members, and severely impact our ability to gain new members. Why pay for something when substitutes are free? It doesn't even have to be a matter of financial cost, but an inconvenience of having to pay that would turn many away. This isn't an issue for AFO alone, but is an issue for almost every internet forum out there.

The challenge for any forum is to find or derive revenue streams that are significant enough to make the site self-sufficient, whilst not causing inconvenience or costs to the users of the site.

I think have a 30 day free trial and then after that they have to pay a small fee, not a fee that is bigernough to scare people away, but one that is bigernough to keep the site going, even if its a $50 per year fee, that's not much to pay.

You will loose a few people, but if you want to keep this site running, you may have to.

Also make it until the member has paid, they can not sell, can not add more then 2 comments per day, (stops people from becoming vip quickly for saying nothing), Make it so that they can not sell or Post a new blog, these types of things will benefit AFO and also stop alot of the pests from posting crap that is not wanted.

With the fee, maybe make a discounted fee for students, old age people and full time working people.

Thats just my input

I believe it's time some of the members put there wallets where there mouth is

If you enjoy afo so much at least donate some $$ to help out

I will put my wallet where my mouth was as soon as the last person who has had the goods for over a month now pays up!

But on the changes front, yes I agree with a membership fee. I like the 30 day view only trial as this would also stop the one stop selling spot people. Also, I am surprised the shop is a little up and down. Can it be bought in line as a consignment selling place where orders placed are simply passed on to the stockist to fill resulting in not having to carry stock.

Just a couple of suggestions which are in no way meant to be a swipe at the admins on what has been an awesome product I have enjoyed for last 5 years.

happy birthday afo!

A Lot of forums have a VIP section where members pay a small fee like a couple of dollars a month to gain access to. Some of the perks that usually come with it is things like custom user titles, slightly bigger avatars and a vip forum to post general stuff in.

Could possibly be a way to help out with the upkeep of the site and im sure a lot of members would be keen to help support the site.

More ads is my guess. Its the logical way to make money without charging members.

I also dont think that the membership will help, its ok for all the guys here that are already heavily involved in the community, but coming from a new member like myself, if i was asked to pay when i first went to join the forum, i definately wouldnt have joined.

More ads is my guess. Its the logical way to make money without charging members.

I also dont think that the membership will help, its ok for all the guys here that are already heavily involved in the community, but coming from a new member like myself, if i was asked to pay when i first went to join the forum, i definately wouldnt have joined.

I tend to agree with this. Advertising could work somewhat, but pay to join system will ultimately see the forum activity and experience stagnate and decline.

I just tried to use the donation tab and could not make any contribution without choosing a "campaign" of which there are none to choose from so therefore I was unable to donate......would be handy to have a means by which members could throw a few bucks towards the site easily while they're posting/reading topics.

I just tried to use the donation tab and could not make any contribution without choosing a "campaign" of which there are none to choose from so therefore I was unable to donate......would be handy to have a means by which members could throw a few bucks towards the site easily while they're posting/reading topics.
Could make a donation straight into afo's bank account and just put donation/running costs into the description.

happy birthday AFO ,what a top place .

i have meat so many good people on here ,learned so much and had heaps of good times .

the way i support AFO .

i enter events (the $ from events probably only just covers the cost of running the event ).

i buy AFO merchandise ,shirt ,jumpers ,stickers ,hats ,etc for me the mrs and kids (hopefully they make a few bucks to help run the site ).

i donate to charities that AFO supports and do clean-up aus day ,etc (i think this helps get the word out ).

i stopped getting drunk and being a pain on the forums and rambling on incoherent crap.

i buy from the site sponsors(hopefully this helps keep the sponsors ).

cheers to the AFO guys and girls ,this has been a labour of luv for them.

i will support them in there changes to get the site to where is dose not cost them $ to run.

luv davo dinkum :P

Could make a donation straight into afo's bank account and just put donation/running costs into the description.[/quote

Yeah I'm trying to find afo account details.....my point is that it would be better to have a quick tab to make a donation..... maybe admin can fix it so we can use the donation button

Guys don't take speculation as fact. As admin clearly stated in their post the website will remain free to use and the overall experience should not change much. If anything it will be expanded and improved.

As for advertising... It's not as simple as "just doing more" or that bridge would have been crossed.

We have several advertisers on board but a large part of advertising revenue is contra which of course goes as prizes for the events. advertisers are not as easy to find as you might think and it is not simply a matter of doing more. IIf anyone knows of, or is someone who would like to advertise feel free to contact us re rates and a package.

Angus

As mentioned, we put this article up keep members aware of why the changes are occurring in a few weeks. Also as we wrote, for the most part existing and new members won't notice much of a change at all in the functioning of the site, and we believe the changes we will be making will actually improve the site and community, so there is need for rumours or speculation :)

Happy Birthday AFO :)

happy brthday afo. thanks for such an awesome site .iam proud to be a member of such a friendly community B)

i have always wondered about the ads how does it work? just wondering if every time a member clicks the ad does afo get a few cents or somthing or does a viewer actually have to acquire or purchace somthing from who eva is advertising before afo gets a few dollers or cents.

Archived