First Blood

ellicat

Nice day out there Brian. While I've got you, I can come around and help with that chain sock when it suits you - can't recall if you said it is 6mm or 8mm chain ....... 🤪  Oh and what was the new ramp like to launch at at Capalaba, I've been meaning to check it out on my way to ........ Manly ........ 🤣

Good on you mate. Glad they were there. My secret spot doesn't feel very secret any more haha. 

It was a very low, high yesterday with not much current movement. I think that might have put them off a bit? Not sure. 

Hopefully the Schoolies are with us forever now that the netting has stopped. 

My mate got a good feed of whiting at the Sandhills yesterday too. 

I had a great day too. I took Girl Junior Drop Bear and 2 of her friends out. Both her friends caught their first fish and their first Cuttlefish. Sent them all home with a good feed of seafood. 

You gotta love Moreton Bay when she is as calm as she was and produces a good dinner. 

Thanks for a great report and dont listen to @Old Scaley, I think your net work on the video is fist class 🤣

36 minutes ago, ellicat said:

One downer for the day happened when I was about 100 metres from home when the motor support snapped in half and fell off. No damage done fortunately. Off to BCF this morning.

I don't have one anymore. The one they supplied me with when I bought the boat was a 2 piece one and had an adjusting thingo that was just a friction screw. The bouncing of the engine just shortened the support so it was useless and fell off. I think the only ones that would be worth having would be a solid fixed one or one you can put a pin in. 

15 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I don't have one anymore. The one they supplied me with when I bought the boat was a 2 piece one and had an adjusting thingo that was just a friction screw. The bouncing of the engine just shortened the support so it was useless and fell off. I think the only ones that would be worth having would be a solid fixed one or one you can put a pin in. 

Or just let them rust like mine and then they are stuck at that length ..... 🙂 I was saying to Brian that on my previous 90hp motor I had a rubber strap I used to wrap around the skeg and leg support to stop the motor from bouncing but it wasn't in the boat when I picked the new one up so I'll have to replace it as it makes me worried I'll suffer the same fate as Brian.

23 hours ago, ellicat said:

Thanks, Hamish. We had a very good day.

The pillies are floated about 5 feet under.

Hey ellicat

Righto, I guess the macks must've been in mid/top water column. Also, I like the video too. Good net job and footage in it, you have a new subscriber on your channel 😉 

Also, hopefully that issue with the motor support is fixed up too. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Hi ellicat and Old Scaley

Just a quick question, do you prefer to skin them over scale (well, you clearly do as you are doing it I suppose). But my main question is, is skinning them easier to do/more efficient than scaling? I know with most fish (unless there's an OK fillet) I scale to keep most of the meat on. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

10 hours ago, ellicat said:

I like to skin them. Saves making a mess with all the scales flying everywhere. I also prefer to eat skinless fish.

Skinning is quicker than scaling too, (Well, except mackerel for me haha) and once you get the hang of it you don't lose much flesh at all.

Macks don’t have scales... 🤷‍♂️ I need to teach you the ways of crispy skinned mackerel. I don’t skin schoolies or spotties, you lose too much meat. And done right, the crispy skin is delicious. 

And i completely resent the fact that you have already replaced me as #1 decky... 😭

9 hours ago, benno573 said:

Macks don’t have scales... 🤷‍♂️ I need to teach you the ways of crispy skinned mackerel. I don’t skin schoolies or spotties, you lose too much meat. And done right, the crispy skin is delicious. 

And i completely resent the fact that you have already replaced me as #1 decky... 😭

Last time I had mackerel (Spottie) I left the skin on and thought it was too strong a flavour for me. Thought maybe the skin played a part so wanted to try with skin off this time. We'll see how we go. You might end up being the beneficiary if I don't enjoy it this time.