How much do you spend on your rod/reel combo?

rockfisho

My cheaper light estuary combos are around $250 while my more expensive ones are around $800. On average it's about $400-$500 for most outfits. 

Some of my friends tell me that I am spending too much money on gear that I wouldn't even need 

While fishing enthusiasts around me have been telling me that it's worth investing in really higher end gear (e.g. Shimano Stella etc.) from the mid tier stuff that I use. 

I personally think that I am in the sweet spot for price to performance value but  I was wondering how much on average do people spend on gear around here?

• 4 weeks later...

A bit like my golf gear - you cannot buy a golf swing.  But nothing wrong with enjoying using good stuff.

The balance of a quality rod and reel, the mechanical precision of a nicely machined reel and the reaction of a high end blank.  If you can afford it - do it.  Bit like golf clubs, high end shafts and forged irons feel remarkable even if you aren’t Tiger Woods.

I have a mixed bag of gear, Shimano reels and my old Abu’s from the early 90’s.  I love the action on my old Loomis 665 but the Venom Stickbait is so powerful and smooth makes me want a Venom baitcasters.  Modern reels are an absolute revelation.  The Bantam is so much nicer than the old Calcutta’s or Abu’s, you could seriously cast it all day.  The smoothness of carbon drags and the crazy amount of pressure they can give at the same time is also things you get with $$ spent.

My most expensive reel was about $800 on sale and for rods about $350-400 for parts only as I built them, the most expensive rod off the rack I have bought was about $320, having said all that you don't need to spend anywhere near that amount for a setup, and could get away with using a setup up between $60-200, depends on what fish you want to catch, where and how you want to catch them, if you like to use good quality gear and want it to last, etc., etc.

I knew a lot of professional fishermen who preferred and would just use hand lines on a plastic spool from a boat (about $2-$6) and they caught plenty of fish, as they did it for a living, the results speak for themselves.

Off a boat you can use anything, from a shore base and need to cast out then a rod and reel will be required, so no simple answer as so many factors need to be considered.

depends how much fishing you do to be honest, if you going every month or two a $400 combo is fine for me but if im fishing every few days or every week id get a $600-700 combo since its lighter and more enjoyable to fish. I fish once a month and i got a $600 combo, spent $300 on it second hand and it was brand new used twice

I suppose it's a bit like cars, someone wants to drive a Mercedes and others will drive a BMW or even a Hyandai, they each have their particular features, niceties and performance but in the end they all get you from Point A to Point B, and some are nicer to drive than others. For example have a look at the following setups I have.

For my GT setup I chose a Penn Spinfisher SSV8500LL (under $200) and a Shimano Anthem SW PE8-10 ($320) rod, total about $520 on special, Penn also make the Slammer in the same size but another couple of hundred dollars more. I looked at the specs and whilst not exactly the same, the Spinfisher is a decent reel and would be more than adequate for the job. So for my needs I couldn't justify spending any more. I would hardly use it more than once or twice a year so at that rate it will last me a lifetime.

I also have a Fathom FTH30LD2 which is a compact and light, but strong 30lb overhead 2 speed reel, and at that size should handle the majority of fish that swim in Morton bay or outside it with possibly the exception of 3m+ sharks or giant bill fish, I then came across a Makaira 15T, 15Kg size, 2 speed, more solid and slightly heavier reel.  However it is similar in capacity than the Penn, with a bit more drag but the selling point for me was the helical cut gears which are much nicer to use than the Penn. That reel was a $850 dollar reel which I got on special for $700. Both of these game reels reels will catch the same sort of fish but on special the Makaira still cost more than twice what I paid for the Penn. To me, it was worth it, as it is a more solid reel and will handle more stress from larger fish than the Penn, at the end of the day I would enjoy using it much more than the Penn, even though the spec's are similar, hence the analogy of the cars.

I could have bought a much cheaper reel and rod which still would have done the job but probably wouldn't be as nice to use. So pretty much of the all of these reels will catch similar fish, but there also comes a time when you have to justify the cost of a setup. If money is no object, then go for the expensive gear, but it isn't a necessity to do so. Especially if you are only going to use it occasionally. Using the more expensive Makaira probably isn't going to end up with me catching more fish, but I will enjoy using it more and for me in this instance I was prepared to pay more for that reel than I normally would. For my use and needs, I would have a very hard time trying to justify paying any more for a reel and rod setup.

Went to a local Tackle World store today as I had some time to kill whilst waiting for the missus's car to get serviced nearby and checked out the Shimano Anthem SW spinning rod in a PE3-5 rating as I have its bigger and stiffer PE8-10 version, so the sales person hands me the rod and first thing I check out is the guide alignment with the backbone, sure enough it is out by 90 degrees.

Salesmans response is that they are all made in China, as if that is a good enough excuse for it, now this rod was about $380, so not a cheap rod, for that price I would expect a quality product. Obviously not, so I just walked out. Generally I avoid Shimano products due to this lack of quality control and no interest in fixing these sort of issues.

• 2 months later...

I'm a fan of using the same reel on multiple rods, a really good reel is expensive but by matching it with some different rods for different fish and conditions it gets a bit cheaper because it does more.

But you don't need high end gear to catch fish, I just love using top tier gear as I love the feel of precision equipment. My whole life I used whatever was decent that that would do the job at a good price, but now I like using the best I can afford because I can and I love super smooth reels and rods that cast like a dream. They will also be with me for years to come if I look after them and that gives me more memories with each particular bit of gear.

• 2 months later...

Being cheap myself I don't spend a lot as I can not catch fish on a cheap rod and reel as I can on an expensive one. Seriously though I just bought a couple of Daiwa Aird X rods and Laguna LT 2500 reels, they seem great for bream, they're budget alright but I haven't got the skill to spend heaps, but like others have said it's whatever you desire and feel comfortable spending.

I think depends on the level of difficulty of the fishing your doing. I have a fishing mate who insists on using cheap rods/ reels/ braid/ leader/ terminal tackle and consistently gets 90% less hits and loses 90% of the fish he hooks, chasing barra/ salmon/ queenies etc. I have longer casts, smoother drag, more robust leader etc. Meanwhile he outfishes me 10 to 1 up the river on the little stuff - bream, grunter etc.