Castnet Training day

Gazza

From what I've read I'm not alone in saying my castnetting sucks :pinch:

and I've tried books videos all types of styles Admittedly I have not used my net in ages as it was in Victoria where they are illegal :(

But I finally got it up here and tried to cast it :blush: what a joke might aswell tossed the bucket it came in :woohoo:

After reading posts on drawstring,mono,size etc :dry:

maybe some of our castnet guru's :) could help us by having a session to help us ie:

your net sucks , no you need to do this,your doing this wrong :cheer:

what do you think guys

train a beginner or just sort out our probs

maybe a bbq after ;)

Gaz

Yeap set a date and ill be there.

I must confess, when fishing withg guys like Jordan and Troy, i happily let them take cast netting duties :whistle:

I can get the net to open OK.

But i can only use the over the shoulder method. This method sucks in both winter and muddy locations.

So please, some of the good netter put your generous foot forward. Im sure some of the \"trainee's\" would not mind supplying the BBQ :)

Angus

if you guys want prawns in your nets there is an old fella down the redlands somewhere who makes absoulutely brilliant nets they are a pleasure to use but come at a premium price so make sure there no nastys down there first using a crappy surecatch net first is normally the go in new areas trouble is i lost the guys no so a bit of research may be needed for it i think his name was bob good luck and ill come to any netting day happily

:)

Yeah if anyone is keen i'd be more than happy to show a couple of pointers. I don't use the over shoulder method. Gets too cold. And i think the throw method as great for getting longer distance.

I actually just got a phone call from my brother 5 minutes ago to plan a quick fish trip to Lota tomorrow in the afternoon on the low tide. From about 2pm till sundown. Will be using the cast net there if anyone is keen. There are some bbq's there as well.

Too late notice?

this is where i learnt-
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U11N4hMaQmQ
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhZWLQLiowI&mode=related&search=

Still a lot of practice needed though- if there is a \"teaching\" lesson then i would be keen.

We could try to get an \"expert\" to show us all and invite the great south east or another outdoors show to come and tape it with us all advertising this website!

Well If nobody has a problem with this, how about we meet at Wellington Point again on the grassy area where we had our last meeting (bbq)? Saturday the 14th of July about 7AM sharp, that way we have the high tide at just after 9AM to fish the tide running out on the reefs again? I think it's sort of central for everyone.

[img size=140]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/cast_net.jpg

post-1304-144598419697_thumb.jpg

hello gazza , heres a short video of a smart ass making castnetting look easy!!whoops the file is too big and has been stopped if your interested email me and i will send it to your inbox cheers alex

Post edited by: bagotalex, at: 2007/07/02 15:28

Hi all,

I too throw from the shoulder, and I tell you it gets cold in winter once your fishing clothes are wet.

I am from Gold Coast, and would be keen to come and have a look at the castnet kings. Could you please give more specific details on the time and park at Wello Point, as I get lost easily and will probably end up at the nearest bottle shop if too confused.

All the best.

Andrew

Gee...its weird that all these people are over the shoulder throwers, and that there are this many people who don't know how to throw a net. I guess i was lucky in that i had a mate who could throw and taught me.

As for directions to Wello, im horrible with names of streets and stuff. But its pretty easy to find. Just use the referdex and look for a pretty big park with around 270 degrees of water surrounding it.

And i think you cant miss a bunch of guys throwing nets on grass when you get there :)

Phew... cause you know what Sat 14th is? Its the Esk races, and while that might not seem significant to any brisbanites, to us Ipswich people its a huge day out.

I will definately be there on the sunday though, am I right in reading that we are boat fishing afterwards for a while too?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived