Back To Schoolies

Old Scaley

G'day Old Scaley

That is a marvellous session you had there, great job to you and Drop Bear on the mackies. I am actually a bit embarrassed now because I showed this to my dad and he couldn't tell me what they were so I am going to make him read a section in a fishing book on fish species 😉. As well as that, that session alone tops the last 4 or 5 sessions I've had... LOL. 

Shame the squid weren't out to play, hopefully next time. Do you think you could've caught more if you had more pillies?

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

30 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

G'day Old Scaley

That is a marvellous session you had there, great job to you and Drop Bear on the mackies. I am actually a bit embarrassed now because I showed this to my dad and he couldn't tell me what they were so I am going to make him read a section in a fishing book on fish species 😉. As well as that, that session alone tops the last 4 or 5 sessions I've had... LOL. 

Shame the squid weren't out to play, hopefully next time. Do you think you could've caught more if you had more pillies?

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Pretty sure we would have hit our bag (5 each) if we had more pillies. 

2 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Pretty sure we would have hit our bag (5 each) if we had more pillies. 

Assuming they were schoolies - you would have needed to lot more pillies as they have a bag limit of 10.

@aussie123 - how would one easily tell the difference between a schoolie and a grey mackerel? I’ve always used the white patch on the dorsal to denote a schoolie? Is there a defining feature of a grey Mack?

Ok. Does the grey have the white patch on the dorsal fin? I thought they had a black patch?

These look exactly like “schoolies” I have caught previously that all had the white patch - as they die the tend to get a mix of spots near the tail and bars towards the head, they aren’t always obvious until some time after death though.  I thought greys were a deeper body like a sharky Mack and had bars all along?

Just want to make sure I’m not identifying wrongly given one is a 50cm legal size and the other is 60!

8 minutes ago, benno573 said:

Just want to make sure I’m not identifying wrongly given one is a 50cm legal size and the other is 60!

Hey benno573

Yes, I was thinking exactly that. How would you tell them apart on capture? It might be difficult with a spano and a grey too. I will be interested to see the replies, that's for sure. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

2 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey aussie123

Thanks for that, I can now see how you mean the fading away of bands on one and how they look.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Yes Hamish, the Greys tend to fade right out after dying where as the Spanish stay much brighter.

Often they are very hard to tell the difference and we were letting all the Spanish go the day we caught these fish but several Spanish found their way into the box by mistaken identity.

We also let go a lot of possible large Greys that day that we could not really identify properly without killing them first so better to be alive and swimming than dead and wasted.

Geez, what a pair of amateurs, not only can't they catch a single squid (makes me feel better after only catching one, but I was hampered by having to continually cast for my junior deckhands .....), but they don't even know what sort of mackerel they caught, and don't even know the bag limit of the species of mackerel they 'thought' they caught .......... luckily they know what grinners look like (I wonder why ......... ) 🤣.

On a serious note, great plan B there fellas, well done 🙂 Any theories on the lack of squid action? For the incoming tide first up, what direction was the wind blowing? The day we went (and struggled) it was blowing from the SE, which meant the wind was blowing us into the channel, against the incoming tide.

They look like small Spanish to me. Grey macks are known as broad barred mackerel as the gap between the bars is greater than Spanish (aka narrow barred mackerel). Grey macks have different proportioned heads and dorsal/anal fins. MLS 60cm bag 5. Schoolies Have large, indistinct spots larger than their eye but do not have any stripes at all, ever. MLS 50cm bag 10. Spotties have lots of small spots smaller than the eye  - mls 60cm bag 5.

Minimum legal size is 75cm for Spanish with a bag of 3 and new boat limit of 6

Here is some info from Fisheries Qld webpage. 
https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fish-identification-information/fish-species-guide/fish-species-id-info/profile?fish-id=spanish-mackerel

12 hours ago, aussie123 said:

These are definitely not schoolies.

I just found some rough kill shots that show spanish, greys and schoolies all mixed in so you can get an idea on their differences when they are chilling out together.

greys2.jpg.746143dfd79871a7d114b9f4f1125f84.jpggreys3.jpg.4a5b76dcbf0b3f4888b3f512e1184384.jpg

Awesome photo mate. Thanks for that. Spero also identified them as Greys but he calls them Barred Mackerel. Seems like they have many names including;

Broad banded mackerel

Broad banded Spanish mackerel

Broad barred king mackerel

broad barred mackerel

broad barred Spanish mackerel

broad barred spaniard mackerel

brownie

grey mackerel

grey Spanish mackerel

striped mackerel

striped school mackerel

tiger mackerel.

Gah! what a mess!

Lucky we have Aussie here to sort it all out for us. Thanks mate. 

2 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

They look like small Spanish to me. Grey macks are known as broad barred mackerel as the gap between the bars is greater than Spanish (aka narrow barred mackerel). Grey macks have different proportioned heads and dorsal/anal fins. MLS 60cm bag 5. Schoolies Have large, indistinct spots larger than their eye but do not have any stripes at all, ever. MLS 50cm bag 10. Spotties have lots of small spots smaller than the eye  - mls 60cm bag 5.

Minimum legal size is 75cm for Spanish with a bag of 3 and new boat limit of 6

Here is some info from Fisheries Qld webpage. 
https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fish-identification-information/fish-species-guide/fish-species-id-info/profile?fish-id=spanish-mackerel

Spanish have much narrower bars and don't have the spots that these have. Spanish have bars that run to the tail while the greys (aka broad-barred mackerel) have spots to the tail. 

Here is another photo, from a different angle, where you can see the broad bands and the spots on the tails. 

IMG20200513140744.jpg

12 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Geez, what a pair of amateurs, not only can't they catch a single squid (makes me feel better after only catching one, but I was hampered by having to continually cast for my junior deckhands .....), but they don't even know what sort of mackerel they caught, and don't even know the bag limit of the species of mackerel they 'thought' they caught .......... luckily they know what grinners look like (I wonder why ......... ) 🤣.

On a serious note, great plan B there fellas, well done 🙂 Any theories on the lack of squid action? For the incoming tide first up, what direction was the wind blowing? The day we went (and struggled) it was blowing from the SE, which meant the wind was blowing us into the channel, against the incoming tide.

The water temp was down to around 20. I think the big tigers move away after the water temp drops? dunno. just a guess but I have always done best in Feb March and April. 

The wind was a nasty 15 knots from the south and against the tide. 

26 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Spanish have much narrower bars and don't have the spots that these have. Spanish have bars that run to the tail while the greys (aka broad-barred mackerel) have spots to the tail. 

Here is another photo, from a different angle, where you can see the broad bands and the spots on the tails. 

IMG20200513140744.jpg

spanish.thumb.png.f5cb2f3ffa4bdac5665d670e307256f4.png

grey.png

schoolie.png

Not grey, cos greys dont have spots, and not school, cos schoolies dont have stripes. 

The question is, would you feel confident with your ID when boating patrol were about to look in your esky?

One thing for sure is that the next time I am fishing for mackerel I will make sure that I take the laminated fish ID sheet that I have in my boat and will check each fish. Thanks for your input everyone, I guess it really is “back to schoolies” for me. I have learned a few things from this topic and look forward to putting them into practice next trip. Stay tuned.

3 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Cheer up buddy and accept it when you are wrong. There is no fire here no need to start one.

I'm not starting anything mate - all my posts are to inform. My job is to ID fish and teach people (including rec fishers) about fish ID. I have provided information from fisheries website to assist. Happy to chat about it, you have my mobile number

8 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

The water temp was down to around 20. I think the big tigers move away after the water temp drops? dunno. just a guess but I have always done best in Feb March and April. 

Interesting - basically same wind/tide combo that I struggled with, think we may have cracked a pattern (that doesn't work .....) 🙂.

Edited by kmcrosby78
Keep Angry51 happy ..... :)

19 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Yes Hamish, the Greys tend to fade right out after dying where as the Spanish stay much brighter.

Often they are very hard to tell the difference and we were letting all the Spanish go the day we caught these fish but several Spanish found their way into the box by mistaken identity.

We also let go a lot of possible large Greys that day that we could not really identify properly without killing them first so better to be alive and swimming than dead and wasted.

Hi aussie123

Thanks for that, it must be slightly frustrating having to let them all go when they are a great table fish. I suppose it is better to be safe than sorry. 🙂 

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Awesome photo mate. Thanks for that. Spero also identified them as Greys but he calls them Barred Mackerel. Seems like they have many names including;

Broad banded mackerel

Broad banded Spanish mackerel

Broad barred king mackerel

broad barred mackerel

broad barred Spanish mackerel

broad barred spaniard mackerel

brownie

grey mackerel

grey Spanish mackerel

striped mackerel

striped school mackerel

tiger mackerel.

Gah! what a mess!

Lucky we have Aussie here to sort it all out for us. Thanks mate. 

Hey Drop Bear

Geez, never would've known that there are so many names for one fish. It would be very confusing if there was a group of people, and each person called a grey mackerel a different name! LOL. 

6 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

Not grey, cos greys dont have spots, and not school, cos schoolies dont have stripes. 

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hi Drop Bear and Andrew P

OK, so this is what I understand the ID-ing to be. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am very curious. 

The school mackerel have about spots half way up their body. They are distinct spots. Almost like a spotty. I don't know what differences scientifically but the ones I can make out are school macks have less spots, and have a smaller size limit. This is a quick picture I snipped out for one to do the features - 

1558496228_MackerelID-ing(2).PNG.f4991455c30c1abca0701984b01e8c8b.PNG

Sorry for the messy-ness, it is quite hard writing with a mouse, LOL. If I were to differentiate a schoolie and a spotty that is what I'd be going off. The spotty mack, on the other hand, has spots up to it's head. It has a higher size limit and seems to be a higher sought after target (I haven't heard much about school macks when I read fishing mags). Saying that, I am no expert so I don't really know. The spotty mack looks like this one, correct? 

886777425_MackerelID-ing.PNG.7f1f7509fa98071ed402ef106fa42e3d.PNG

Then, the Grey Mackerel seems to be closer looking than the Spanish. The main problem with this is that you don't know which is which until dead. With the grey though, while it does fade, it seems to have spots to the tail, not quite stripes. Like this - 

1933513786_MackerelID-ing(3).thumb.PNG.ccaf119aaf85c32dded2fb94572d7c7d.PNG

Finally, it seems a spaniard or spanish mackerel has lines going all the way down - 

2082342138_MackerelID-ing(4).thumb.PNG.8f0e89967c4d0f6cdfe039283a35d674.PNG

So, from this, my main question is do the grey's have spots on the back of the tail or do they have bars just like the Spanish? 

Sorry if this is misleading/wrong by the way, I'm more than happy to be corrected. Just decided to do this in my break for school today because I wanted to know more about ID-ing these fish. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

8 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

6 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Interesting - basically same wind/tide combo that I struggled with, think we may have cracked a pattern (that doesn't work .....) 🙂.

Hi Drop Bear and kmcrosby78

Seems like you might've found a pattern (like you say above). I wonder if the bay fishes badly on that weather and it is not worth fishing for squid in that weather. I guess it may well be, so hopefully you have so if it's that tide you know what to focus on. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish 

• 3 months later...
On 19/05/2020 at 12:51 AM, Hweebe said:

What’s your preferred way of cooking up the macs?

I like to mix it up. The little ones like schools, spotty, greys etc i fillet. I don't always skin but do sometimes. 

The Big Spanish I steak some of it and fillet some of it. 

They all make great sashimi.

Easy to put the steaks on the BBQ and delicious. 

They are a very versatile fish and you can do them lots of way. 

Ceviche is delicious and so is bear batter or tempura.

They are great Mediterranean style too with olives and tomatoes with basil.  

I don't ever eat them whole however.