Brisbane River Bream & Snapper Comp

Angus

Kriso (and anyone interested): If we could use the sign up section in the "Attend Events" section that would be great.

Kayakers: I will still do my best to look into the issue with the yaks ok. I would love to see a fleet of yakker on the water trust me. Its just matter of getting around the "All water craft must have boat insurance" issue.

Angus

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey Kriso, if ya dont mind being abit cramped you can always jump abord with mw and ausboy. Not sure if youre aware but i recently purchased a 4.1 whaler, great for the river:laugh: ;)

Seriuosly though i know we can fit 3 on so if ya need a spot just give us a pm mate.

Do$tylz wrote:

bugger.. just read faulked's post.... which boat now??:( .... maybe if its a 2 day event, one day with Jeff, one day with Faulked :P hahahaha.

i'm easy, mate no offence taken if you want to go with faulked;)

i'm sure there will be plenty of takers for every spot in every boat

Angus wrote:

Kriso (and anyone interested): If we could use the sign up section in the "Attend Events" section that would be great.

Kayakers: I will still do my best to look into the issue with the yaks ok. I would love to see a fleet of yakker on the water trust me. Its just matter of getting around the "All water craft must have boat insurance" issue.

Angus

I'm sure I've in profiles that a member or two are insurance brokers, maybe they could look in to the issue for us?

Might be possible to get some sort of short term event insurance for them

with the tiny cost of insuring my boat im sure the cost of a yak would be negligble racq do it by the worth of the boat and with many sounders costing more than a high class yak it really wouldnt end up to dear

at least if you happen to roll your yak in front of a skier breaking all their arms and legs at least you will be coverd especially as you may hurt yourself laughing at the skier and you will be covered too :P

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so am i jeff

good news is i just asked dad if we could get the boat within 6 weeks and he said he wanted to get it before then anyway :woohoo:

so hopefully i might have time for a few pre fishes aswell.

cant wait

have cost, launch area, boundaries etc been finalised as of yet?

• 3 weeks later...

I have not done anymore planning. I can only organise so many at once and the Kayak camp and then the winter camp have been taking up most of my time.

With declining interest in organised events I wont be able to take the time to organise as many this year as hoped.

Angus

Its not a huge deal with for example comps hosted with Sports Tuition becuase Steve's business takes care of the insurance. But with a soley AFO hosted official event, there is actually quite a high number of people required in order to ensure the entry fee's let us at least break even. Thats without making the entry fee's a stupid price anyway. And candidly, with the many hours of work that goes into the events, we want at least something coming into AFO so we can continue to grow in both ability and vision.

Worst case scenario though, we just all meet that day at a designated spot and specifically target a species and have a BBQ. Nothing official.

Angus

Fair enough angus.

If events like these are less 'organized' (ie not a comp just a social fish) are you still required to have insurance?

Perhaps a few more M&G's each year with hideously expensive sausage sizzles, instead of entry fees, might be easier to organize and more financially beneficial for the site...

Terry

bigtez wrote:

Fair enough angus.

If events like these are less 'organized' (ie not a comp just a social fish) are you still required to have insurance?

Perhaps a few more M&G's each year with hideously expensive sausage sizzles, instead of entry fees, might be easier to organize and more financially beneficial for the site...

Terry

Big Tez: Yeah man thats pretty much what i have been pondering. However (dam this litegeous day and age) but its still a risk for us. AFO's solicitor (a mate of mine :P), has prety much warned us that however informally organised, a court will almost certainly rule AFO as responsible as orgnansisers. Now I have been told by many blokes from the site "as if we would take it that far if something happened" which is fair enough. However consider if someone got paralyzed or killed in a boat crash etc (unlikely "touch wood" but not beyond the realms of possibilty by any means), im not sure their families would feel the same way. If it was a genuine meet and greet, the familiy would have to deal. However, even if loosely, they can attribute the event/social to be connected with a liable entity... why not have a crack. Sorry that was a bit long winded, and of course I am going to run socials etc. But you can understand where the concerns are stemmed from.

Angus

mate i reckon you and the wider AFO community do a great job at the events you do organise, despite the workload. i'm sure if you needed help to get some events off the ground there would be many volunteers. many hands make light work mate... we're not all as lazy as we appear. :laugh:

It sucks that we live in a society where you can't blow your nose without having to think about who will sue you. Is the AFO solicitor able to tell you at what point a M&G becomes a AFO event? For Example, if it is organized by members as opposed to mods/admin would it qualify as a non AFO day? Or if it is organized via the forum without making a sticky or listing in the events section?

bigtez wrote:

It sucks that we live in a society where you can't blow your nose without having to think about who will sue you. Is the AFO solicitor able to tell you at what point a M&G becomes a AFO event? For Example, if it is organized by members as opposed to mods/admin would it qualify as a non AFO day? Or if it is organized via the forum without making a sticky or listing in the events section?

i totally agree. when i was a young fella up in gladstone we used to fish off the wharfs and if a ship was coming in the tugboat drivers just used to tell us to move and we did. but now, you're not even allowed near the wharfs let alone on them owing to "public liability issues". :angry: it has ruined so much that used to be good.

i may take part in the fishing comp,as i have a boat that will take 2 other members,but do not know the river( never fished it).so i may be looking for a skipper and a deckie:woohoo: , (skipper must know his stuff:laugh:) seriously just dont know the river,someone who has a rough idear of the river.

Archived