When and where will it stop ?

ellicat

Well, the crap continues. Did anyone catch this quote in the paper today from the EPA's Susan Buchanan:( :angry:

"From the information gathered as part of the Moreton Bay Marine Park Review we have identified a major concern for fishermen is the protection of the breeding sanctuaries that feed the bay. The Brisbane River is the major estuary feeding Moreton Bay, so it makes sense that we should consider the effects overfishing is having in that system"

Please note this thread was an April Fool's Day prank

i wonder which one fisherman they asked about that? maybe shazza or bazza from the caravan park at deception bay?

yeah ok, breeding areas should be protected from commercial netters, but surely the biggest threat to the brisbane river is from sedimentation, siltation and general crap water being fed into it from building sites all over brisbane? not to mention freight ships dumping countless millions of tonnes of balast water into the river from god-only-knows-where... but of course, building stuff and increased port traffic generates $$$... this stinks to hell. next thing they'll do is make the whole river a green zone...

You have got to be kidding! So what, now they're taking away the River? That will cause some massive backlash. Its bad enough that they take the bay, but now possibly the river?

What are they doing?

Yes were obviuosly concerned about the breeding grounds, but rec fishos arent the ones doing the damage!

Yep totally agrre with comments of Susan Buchannan in the Papaer.

We need a licensing system in place to restrictic the numbers of fish being taken from the river. Already the Thready numbers are dropping this season. Strict management of our waterways is definatelly needed.

i have just checked on one of the green lobbyist mob websites (just google epa queensland and green and then follow the links) - they are proposing a total ban on all boat-based recreational fishing in the river, a total ban on the use of bait nets in queensland and want to implement a closed season within the bay for 3 months of the year!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: the worst part is this group is funded almost wholly and soley on grants from the EPA... :angry: :angry: :angry:

sure, the specific targetting of one species (threadfin) in the river will have a detrimental effect on it's population locally, and measures can be put in place to protect a single species. but to shut off the whole river... c'mon, get your hands off it guys...

Green Zones support resilience: Moreton Bay is an incredibly diverse and unique ecosystem but under increasing pressure. The Bay needs more Green Zones to be resilient against these threats:

Population of south-east Queensland is expanding by 50,000 a year with associated increasing pressures – boating, fishing, pollution, and coastal development.

Climate change: 50% of the corals off Shag Rock have already experienced coral bleaching.

Turtle deaths and dugong deaths: causes include boat strikes, plastic bags, and discarded fishing gear.

Green Zones support fishing. Fisheries around the world, including Moreton Bay’s, are collapsing. Green Zones are nurseries for fish and marine life.

shortie wrote:

Green Zones support resilience: Moreton Bay is an incredibly diverse and unique ecosystem but under increasing pressure. The Bay needs more Green Zones to be resilient against these threats:

Population of south-east Queensland is expanding by 50,000 a year with associated increasing pressures – boating, fishing, pollution, and coastal development.

Climate change: 50% of the corals off Shag Rock have already experienced coral bleaching.

Turtle deaths and dugong deaths: causes include boat strikes, plastic bags, and discarded fishing gear.

Green Zones support fishing. Fisheries around the world, including Moreton Bay’s, are collapsing. Green Zones are nurseries for fish and marine life.

several points here mate -

1. how does stopping people fish stop boats running into turtle and dugongs? i quite often snorkel in the green zones around peel, something which still requires driving my boat into the green zone. the green zones will do nothing to prevent boat strikes.

2. is climate change really the cause for the coral bleaching? while i can accept the global environment is changing, is this really the cause of the bleaching? is there any categoric evidence to say this is the case? short answer is no. what is the major cause of coral bleaching (Ref: Brady 2007) is increased run-off from urban areas, development and farmland, caused by an increase in impermeable ground coverings (i.e concrete etc), increased land clearing and pesticide use and a decrease in creek vegetation.

3. yes green zones can be nurseries. i would think you would struggle to find the logical reasoning behind making the whole brisbane river a green zone as, due to urban development, much of it could not be deemed nursery ground at all. sure there are habitats for fish, but there is little evidence to suggest many species of fish actually regularly and actively breed in the urbanised sections of the brisbane river (with the exception of bull sharks but surely they wouldnt breed if there was nothing for them to eat which may mean the river is fine how it is?)

and i believe fishing should be available to all that want it - not just those that can afford it. yeah ok, not everyone can afford a boat, a charter, a $500 bream combo, but for a family with a few kids to sit on the bank of the river and catch a couple of catfish, maybe a bream on a handline free of charge, surely you can't knock that back? seeing a kid's face when they land their first fish is "special" - and you agree with the government's want to take this away from some???

shortie wrote:

Becuase im in a postion to afford to fish if this happens, lucky me. For those who cannot afford it bad luck, thats life. Thank god we are in a capitalist society. Some of us with always get more than others.

O my god, are your kidding yourself?I hope you don't fall on hard financial times in the future with that attitude you will not cope

shortie wrote:

Becuase im in a postion to afford to fish if this happens, lucky me. For those who cannot afford it bad luck, thats life. Thank god we are in a capitalist society. Some of us with always get more than others.

i have lost alot of respect after reading this comment.

that is a pig headed, obnoxious view to say.

kriso wrote:

shortie wrote:

i have lost alot of respect after reading this comment.

that is a pig headed, obnoxious view to say.

i'll second that kriso:angry:

shortie wrote:

limit the places that are accessable, bring on limited licenses to stop people raping our waterways.

I read prety much all reports on fishing in this forum and others and have not read a single report where anglers have claimed to bag out most of the reports also state all fish returned or maybe better luck next trip :(:(

So where the hell you get this raping the river from is beyond me :unsure:

Gaz

Malcolm wrote:

This thread sucks on a few fronts and I spose they will look at closing Shultz Canal and Boggy Creek to

Hey Malcom it wasnt too long ago that i read something about Bogey creek and zones etc. Cant remember exactly what it said. I know it was a write up about proposed green zones :angry:

shortie wrote:

what if your not 1 of the ones that get the license than shortie?

i still dont get how they can green zone an area with an active sewage influx let alone 20 of the rotten things

but id like to see all of morton bay and tributaries go either dark blue or better still yellow this would mean everyone has to buck their acts up

but theres no profit in this so it wont happen

:( jason

ive always been of the opinion that closed season on species (spawning) along with smaller green zones would be a better outcome allround for this problem... im sure we all agree that something needs to be done in all waterways to have a continued and sustainable fishery available to all people. whether rich or poor,

obnoxious or not, working or studying, whoever !!!!!

to lock up huge areas defeats the purpose as it only puts more pressure on other bloody areas... !!!!!!!!

ellicat wrote:

Well, the crap continues. Did anyone catch this quote in the paper today from the EPA's Susan Buchanan:( :angry:

"From the information gathered as part of the Moreton Bay Marine Park Review we have identified a major concern for fishermen is the protection of the breeding sanctuaries that feed the bay. The Brisbane River is the major estuary feeding Moreton Bay, so it makes sense that we should consider the effects overfishing is having in that system"

Well, I've spent most of today investigating this matter further.

At the end of the day I found this thread to be of most help.

http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&catid=38&id=96022#96022

Archived