Nissan to enter V8 Supercars!

Eug

This will open a can of worms. Good to see a bit of diversity coming in as I got bored of the series a few years ago.

If people have already forgotten Sierras and Skylines used to run in Bathurst when I was a wee one and those were great to watch.

If GT1 is anything to go by they will hopefully run R35s with the Titan engine. Although the Maxima may be a possibility.

This makes me feel funny in the pants *flame suit on*.

www.v8supercars.com.au/championship/newsarticle/official-nissan-to-join-v8-supercars-championship/tabid/70/newsid/12124/default.aspx

Be interesting to see if they use a na engine or turbo...... if it's a turbo it'll have heavy restrictions on it I reckon, otherwise holden and ford might as well concede defeat right now. If nissan use a forced induction motor then how bout the xr6 turbo or the supercharged v8 from the fords getting the nod? It will never happen imo but I'd probably start watching it again. The Bathurst 24 hour was worth watching and hopefully the v8 supercar races will be similar now.

like i said they already run the R35 with the VK56 in GT1 so i don't think it'll be an issue to put together a car. i think the maxima will be a viable chassis to work off it's in the same league as the commodore/falcon.

as much as i dislike the kellys with nismo behind them i dare say it wont take long for them to get to the front.

edit: The cars will still feature V8 engines, rear-wheel drive and four doors. They'll also continue to make the same roar and be just as fast, if not actually faster. Currently, the chassis beneath the skin of the Falcon and Commodore are all extremely similar, with the next step being a control chassis — it's cheaper and is also aimed at making it easier for other potential manufacturers to build a V8 Supercar.

/>http://www.v8supercars.com.au/technical/carofthefuture/thenewgenerationofv8supercars/tabid/1418/default.aspx

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i know skylines used to race back in the day... blah blah blah, but i am a bit of an old school guy. its traditionally H v F.

i know, why dont we try this as well, cockroches v caintoads v kiwi birds :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

i say tradition.

in one corner we will have a 45% holden surporters, the other 45% ford, i the minute 10% :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: geeez cant evan say it lol

why didnt the skyline last in the first place.

their is alot of people out the who dont like change like me

anyway, thats my 2 cents

Nissan, Chrysler set to join V8 racing next year

BY GUY HAND, MOTORSPORT

10 Feb, 2012 01:00 AM

A fourth V8 Supercar manufacturer is expected to be confirmed soon after Nissan revealed it would break the sport's Holden-Ford duopoly from next year.

But V8 boss Tony Cochrane says no more than five car makers will be admitted to the sport, and is confident at least four will be in place for 2013.

Nissan will enter the series next year, with Rick and Todd Kelly's Kelly Racing defecting from Holden to become the Japanese giant's factory-backed team. And Chrysler is expected to announce in the next few months it will become the fourth maker on the grid as the Car of the Future blueprint opens the way for other manufacturers to join Holden and Ford from next year.

But V8 boss Tony Cochrane said he believed the series needed to be sensible about the amount of manufacturers allowed into the sport - saying five was the maximum they would consider.

''We would be very reluctant to go above five manufacturers,'' Cochrane said. ''At the start of 2013 there'll be at least four manufacturers there. Nothing's happened to change my view on that.''

Nissan and Chrysler both have V8 engines in production, and Nissan has a new mid-sized sedan - the Altima - slated for sale next year.

The expectation is Nissan will drop a V8 powerplant into the Altima shell for the four cars it will run in the series with Kelly Racing.

Nissan has a rich history in Australian touring car racing. It dominated Holden and Ford in the late 1980s and early 1990s, with the powerhouse Nissan Skyline GT-R known as Godzilla and George Fury and a young Mark Skaife at the wheel.

But they were unpopular with traditional Aussie motor sport fans - the nadir coming with a Bathurst win in 1992 when Jim Richards labelled a booing crowd ''a pack of arseholes''.

They won two Bathursts and two touring car championships, before being eventually chased out of the sport in 1993 by rule changes.

But Nissan executive Ian Moreillon doesn't believe the marque would feel the sort of cold shoulder from motorsport fans it received 20 years ago, and is confident it can increase sales and build a fan base.

Todd Kelly said Kelly Racing would remain with Holden for 2012 ahead of its shift to Nissan, but the increased factory support was pivotal in the decision to quit Holden.

''We tried extremely hard to re-engage Holden and get [factory support] off them - we've been with them for a very long time,'' he said.

why did it have to be the kelly's though

First topic response as a fishing club member... and it's about cars.

Looks like Nissan Altima- either Nissan or Renault V8. Chrysler new 300C is expected with Audi or BMW for 5th and final spot.

Still unsure if it will take away strong hold from 888 engineering but as was seen with 888 going from Henry to the General a few years back 888 will adapt to rules and compete well. V8 Super Cars are trying to keep respective identities of the cars and not become generic like NASCAR, considering Commo and Falcons havent sold 5.0 push rod engines in many a year they could allow "production spec V8 engines" Holden LS3 Falcon Boss blocks... lets see if Mopar 6.4 Hemi and Audi S6 or S8 can stir it up. Still not sure what V8 technology Nissan come up with but since I have 2 Nissans in my driveway I should give them some support (just not usually a Kelly's fan.

Personally would love to see Audi, Merc or BMW come over from the DTM and bring someone like Mika Hakkinen or similar ex Formula 1 drivers to Australia.

I will remember this thread for a long time cause you're all a pack of @ssholes - J Richards 1992

But seriously I think this is an attempt to revitalize the series and chase a bit more of what seems to be the ever decreasing corporate and public hard earned coins.

Choice between 3 or 4 manufacturer fields or the possibility of it folding, I will go the former option every time.

i hope they fail big time.. man i hate Nissan as a company!!

I agree with you to certain extent i hate RB's. Owned a few myself and they nothing but trouble. Blew 4 motors 7 gearboxes in a year.

SR's way to go. Touch wood. Im still on my first motor n box. More responsive than a RB anyday

I agree with you to certain extent i hate RB's. Owned a few myself and they nothing but trouble. Blew 4 motors 7 gearboxes in a year.

SR's way to go. Touch wood. Im still on my first motor n box. More responsive than a RB anyday

Wouldn't be anything to do with your right foot would it to blow up that many mechanical bits?

Wouldn't be anything to do with your right foot would it to blow up that many mechanical bits?

Thats what i thought at first.

But no rb20,rb25 are the weakest motors out a bit of hard time they break themselves.

On other hand you can do same to sr n itl live. Maybe because its 4 cylinder.

I thought it was only me who thought this but a few other forums i searched alot of people say same.

1 wrong gear crunch in a rb20 box cya later gearbox. They are just so weak.

I will remember this thread for a long time cause you're all a pack of @ssholes - J Richards 1992

HAHA... Skaife's reaction when Jimmy was on the mic.

Any supporting mods? Oil cooler, etc.?

HAHA... Skaife's reaction when Jimmy was on the mic.

Any supporting mods? Oil cooler, etc.?

Basically same mods on both. Sr holds better. Your a nissan fan im sure you know this lol.

Only decent RB to get is a RB26.

SR hold better more responsive n made for the streets.

I'm impartial to either... have known plenty of either family of motors to go bang. Most of the time it's always a lack of supporting mods, i.e. lack of oil, lack of cooling and/or fuel. Everyone thinks that bolting on a turbo, fmic and tuning is all they need, SRs will last a little longer but only just.

Archived