True Beast in every sense of the word....

chris_stewart14

Happy Australia Day indeed... The goal for 2010 was shot down in a blaze of glory all within the first month and now I feel lost and without purpose.. Couldn't be happier about it :cheer: Went for a fish last night - started very quiet only landing afew Bream and then all hell broke loose... I was telling acouple of members about a Jacking trip a week ago where I was busted off by what felt like hooking a passing boat.. This time without a locked drag it bolstered a near 100m run across the canal - I thought I had hooked a shark but knew not even they fought like this... Called it for a rogue GT and I must admit that I made an agreement to Huey that if he allowed me to not lose the fish I'd donate a pineapple to charity..

Finally got it to shore - 105cm of speed machine Giant Herring... This fish was thick as shit the whole length of it's body.. Apologies boys as I dont own a brag mat.. I assure you I took off an inch for the head not being right at the start.. 105cm is conservative and I'll throw the tape measure shots of the rod up later to prove it.

Would love to have spent more time taking pics but was not going to let this fish die.. Got it straight back in the water and stood swimming it in figure 8's for two minutes before it came to life and cruised off strongly..

Stoked!

Chris GH_Land.JPG

chris_stewart14 wrote:

Happy Australia Day indeed... The goal for 2010 was shot down in a blaze of glory all within the first month and now I feel lost and without purpose.. Couldn't be happier about it :cheer: Went for a fish last night - started very quiet only landing afew Bream and then all hell broke loose... I was telling acouple of members about a Jacking trip a week ago where I was busted off by what felt like hooking a passing boat.. This time without a locked drag it bolstered a near 100m run across the canal - I thought I had hooked a shark but knew not even they fought like this... Called it for a rogue GT and I must admit that I made an agreement to Huey that if he allowed me to not lose the fish I'd donate a pineapple to charity..

Finally got it to shore - 105cm of speed machine Giant Herring... This fish was thick as **** the whole length of it's body.. Apologies boys as I dont own a brag mat.. I assure you I took off an inch for the head not being right at the start.. 105cm is conservative and I'll throw the tape measure shots of the rod up later to prove it.

Would love to have spent more time taking pics but was not going to let this fish die.. Got it straight back in the water and stood swimming it in figure 8's for two minutes before it came to life and cruised off strongly..

Stoked!

Chris GH_Land.JPG

And what lure did you use?

Hi everyone... Thanks heaps for the kind words.. No aerials unfortunately.. After I decided the fight was too unlike a shark I completely called it for a rogue GT. They are truely a phenominal fish, not only rare but for one of this size makes it extra special. I was down to my backing during the fight twice with nearly 150m of line out at afew points and staring at the silver of my spool through the 20m left on it. Thankfully it ran back towards me which saved the day. I more or less spotted it cruising along with the current with a bow wave on the surface and dropped a live (well half live) squid on it's head and before I even had time to engage the reel it was pinning it..

Finally - yeah I was $hitting myself the entire time.. Especially once I saw it as the panic sets in that you might not land it and no one will ever believe you. I made special work of making the turn around super quick as I knew these fish were fragile and was charged beyond belief when it kicked off strong.

Thanks again guys!

Chris

Archived