Why didn't you fish the BRC this year ?

ellicat

I noticed the numbers were down for this years Classic. The array of prizes was great with a heap of lucky door ones as well as the category winner/placing prizes. Usually this event gets quite a bit of interest from the members.

Keep the comments and suggestions civil.

Your answers may help improve the attractiveness to you next year. :)

I didnt fish for any particular reason.

However i did notice that in the forums there wasnt the excitement that had been generated previous years.

there is usually a thread that goes on for well over 10 pages dedicated o the BRC and the stories from previous years.

Thios didnt happen in as big a way as previous years.

Thiese type thread usually get people excited, but that excitment was lacking.

Richard.

It is a bit hard to please everyone with the dates. The first ones were in around the first week of the school hols so a lot of people were away.

The year before last it clashed with out annual Monduran trip as we assumed that it would be the same as previous years and Booked Mondy accordinaly..

Would there be any benefit in setting the date as always being at say 1st weekend in December ( Just an example) and that way people with long term planning committments could arrange them accordinally.

With Mondy to get a house on the moon you have to book around 15 months in advance.

Cheers

Ray

Hey guys. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Dates are obviously a hard thing to commit to 12 months out. All people involved in running this site do ao in their spare time so need to work around existing work and study commitments. This being said, we massively understand the benefit of setting dates well ahead of time to make things easier on people.

With this in mind the Events Committee for AFO will be meeting late this year to try and firm up an events calendar for next year. We hope by doing this the extra notice will give more members the opportunity to sort their personal commitments out so they can attend :)

Constructive critism is always welcome and our events have evolved over the years based purely on such comments.

Cheers everyone.

Angus

I am not sure if the Rain coming up to it had an effect. I did hear some folks comment that they could not make it each day and that was the reason they did not attend however there was a lot of activity on the site that weekend with people doing their own trips locally but not attending the function. Maybe and I am just pondering here that if people where unable to attend the prise presentation that did not enter. Maybe there needs to be a lucky entry prise as well as the lucky door prises.

last years brc was a hoot for me. awsome event. love it so is SOO:woohoo:

this year i tried regerstering quite a few times and an error code come up each time i tried to reg not sure if it was me doing somthing wrong with reg details so my missus had a go at reg, and paying on line and was not succesfull as well. i remember the error code started with a 4 and was in red writing if it helps ya..

missed the early bird special as a result of not being able to regester I know there were a few regestration links not working in the threads at the time but seriously I couldnt be bothered chasing it up.I was a bit pissed that i missed the early bird special

and i cant always make it to the bank on time for a cash deposit like i normaly try and do for the other events .but oh well. next year for sure

i dont enter afo events for the prizes I do it for the social side of things as a friendly comp

i think the early bird specials are great it really attracts the number of people regestering early and gets the ball rolling

the comp had some great prizes on offer this year I thought more would have entered the comp as a result too its a pitty it didnt turn out that way but obviously most of us are in it for another reason maybe morepiss morepiss:laugh: :laugh:

cant wait for the next one

Obviously I just wanted to give someone else a go at the Lucky Door Prize.

We didn't compete this year - no real reason why, but we did manage to show up and see the lads and lasses. I'm sure I will need something shiny and new next year so I'll make my way along and take out a shiny new Lucky Door Prize.

LIfe is just so darn busy. Missed the last couple due to work, Monduran and Gladstone. Nothing the Org Comm did.

Changing the prizes wouldn't make a difference to me as I don't expect to win. Not saying don't do prizes because everyone loves winning stuff, it's just not the driving factor for me.

Changing times wouldn't matter as life is not structured enough to rely on a calendar.

I do hope to attend next year. We need to pop home annually to check things so we might make it around this time and I will be able to slip a fish in...or am I dreaming!.

Didn't fish due to having other commitments. Seems all of AFO events fall on dates I have something else going on these days!

Only thing I can think of would be to possibly promote and advertise the competition more publicly, and much earlier than previously. I'd be surprised if many people outside of the regular AFO forum readers have heard of the BRC.

Didn't fish due to having other commitments. Seems all of AFO events fall on dates I have something else going on these days!

Only thing I can think of would be to possibly promote and advertise the competition more publicly, and much earlier than previously. I'd be surprised if many people outside of the regular AFO forum readers have heard of the BRC.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Terry sorry to quote you directly just the last post I read regarding lead up time. Next year all the events we host will have a much better lead up time. To be perfectly honest we would have liked a better lead up time for the 2010 BRC but personal situations caused all involved to be very busy. 2011 expect much more forward warning though.

Cheers.

Angus

Mick Fillet sez some good stuff about getting registered. Took me a while to navigate anywhere near a sign up page (not due to the site's slowness that only I recognise ;) ). I kept getting irrelevant pages and made it my quest to get signed up. I reckon the rain definitely had an effect on numbers as there were quite a few reports of the River not producing on the lead up to the event. As for prizes I was a bit surprised that people could win a twice in a category, but am glad there weren't more participants cos I got a Charter in the lucky door raffle!!! :P I don't really think people are in it to win it, surely the fishing/social comes first, and a prize is a bonus! B) This was my first BRC, and despite a donut and losing all me braid I'll be back next year, youbetcha!!! B) B) B)

i did attend and had a ball ive been to every one

however i do think that setting a date should be done far earlier in the year as for so many it is important to pre book obviously not 1 day in the year would suit everyone but the longer to plan the easier it is to squeeze it in .

i also think this will really help with early bird entries as 50 is very achievable 80 is getting exy so people will often come up with the 50 hoping they are free at the time .

some one else suggested a entry prize i like this idea but the major prize should deffinately be handed over to someone at the prize giving just to get a photo for the sponsor who has generously handedover the goods

the loss of the best dressed was a shame as that brought out the idiots and was well worth it

maybe a prize for the best photo over the event

and guys a boat doesnt meen everything i fished the first 2 classics by boat and couldnt raise a scale then fished from land the next 2 and got a first then a second place

thanks too all those who helped put a great event together i cant wait till next year

when is it?

jason :whistle:

whether i go to a event or not is a $ thing .if i have the $ at the time or not .

it seamed like the first notice and early bird entries went by very fast this event .

i think it was a week between them .

for the SSO it was a month between them .

at a month i can plan and budget it in .

but at a week i can't .

i think the prizes this year have been great ,good work guys .

i enter events for the social side and a casual fish and a bit of fun .

like others have said :not there for the prizes but its still nice to win something .

Early bird special was good to get the ball rolling.Maybe not only reward the earlybirds with the discount but also offer them the chance to win a prize for entering earlier than the due time.Just a little bit more incentive for some. I didn't get to fish last years due to family commitments but this year it worked out in my favour.I suppose I'm not alone there.Being part of a local fishing club too and being on their board means I have to consider their dates too(mind you I didn't let their last fisho for the year stop me from fishing the BRC this year)

Overall probably better publicity could mean better numbers but that may end up more of a nightmare for the organisers so that needs to be considered too.

Hulk

Archived